INTERNATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF GRAND-BASSAM
Description du poste
The International University of Grand-Bassam is urgently seeking a candidate to fill the position of Lab Technician in the school of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
IUGB Profile : The International University of Grand-Bassam (IUGB) is a private, publicly assisted which offers an American curriculum in English. It opened in 2005, and, by the signing of Decree 2007-499 on May 16, 2007, was formally accredited as a University within the Côte d’Ivoire higher education system. Envisioned as a Regional Center of Excellence in Higher Education in Africa, IUGB’s mission is to provide internationally recognized higher education through technology-enhanced English medium instruction in fields critical for regional development, international success and life-long learning.
BASIC FUNCTIONS OF POSITION : Provide technical support, ensure that the equipment is functioning properly and is ready to use, and that the right materials are available for particular lessons. (A summary of the position description is available on our website and Facebook page.
Job purpose :
A teaching laboratory technician works in all kinds of educational institutions including secondary schools, further education colleges and universities. Their tasks involve supporting the work of science teachers/lecturers and their students to ensure that they:
– Make the best use of the time they spend in the laboratory;
– Use equipment safely;
– Accurately record the results of their work.
The role mainly involves providing technical support, ensuring that the equipment is functioning properly and is ready to use, and that the right materials are available for particular lessons.
But the technician needs to be able to work closely with students to explain or demonstrate experiments or how to use equipments, as well as helping teachers with a class and supporting individual students on research projects.
Duties include :
Liaising with academic staff to discuss timetables, equipment requirements and work plans;
Running trials of experiments prior to classes and then demonstrating techniques for experiments;
Preparing equipment and chemicals before lessons – from test tubes to state-of-the-art microscopes;
Maintaining and repairing equipment and laboratory apparatus;
Record keeping, e.g. for students’ practical sessions, tracking methods, results, etc;
Ensuring that equipment is properly cleaned and that chemicals, drugs and other materials are appropriately stored;
Supporting the work of faculty in classes and laboratory sessions and giving technical advice to staff and students;
Working with individual students and supporting them on research projects;
Managing the stock control of chemicals and equipment;
Ensuring that all health and safety procedures are understood and followed correctly;
Coordinating work in the laboratory to ensure efficient use is made of expensive pieces of equipment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS REQUIRED
All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
– Minimum Master’s degree from a recognized university, with a major in chemistry, biology or a closely related field; but a Bachelor degree with 5 years experience could be considered.
– A minimum of 2 years experience in a similar position.
– Speaking and writing in both English and French is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
– Knowledge of basic principles of biochemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry
– Knowledge of scientific laboratory procedures and techniques used in a chemistry laboratory
– Ability to provide instructional assistance to students and instructional staff
– Ability to follow complex instructions and formulae in the preparation and construction of media and equipment set-ups
Knowledge of :
– Basic principles of biochemistry, organic and inorganic chemistry
– Scientific laboratory procedures and techniques used in a chemistry laboratory
– Scientific laboratory equipment and apparatus
– Scientific methods of measurements
– Health and safety practices and precautions applicable to a chemistry laboratory
– Capabilities of computer systems, software, and hardware common to instructional laboratories
– Principles of recordkeeping
+ Provide instructional assistance to students and instructional staff
+ Follow complex instructions and formulae in the preparation and construction of media and equipment set-ups
+ Prepare chemical and reagent solutions, extracts, and dilutions to specifications
+ Effectively and safely operate, adapt, and maintain scientific equipment
+ Perform minor repairs and adjustments to a variety of laboratory equipment
+ Stay abreast of technical subjects, practices, and developments in the field of chemistry
+ Keep detailed and precise records
+ Maintain an inventory of equipment and tools
+ Work effectively and cooperatively with students and instructional staff
+ Give clear and concise instructions
+ Effectively utilize computer hardware and software
+ Learn general and specialized software applications
+ Ability to communicate in English and French (oral and written)
+ Knowledge of Computer equipment and software
+ Effective oral and written communication skills
+ Effective time management skills
+ Effective organizational skills
+ Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO
Important Notice: Applicants MUST submit a current resume and a cover letter. Copies of both education documents and working experience must be attached to your application. When submitting your application via email, please always start the subject line with the Vacancy Announcement’s number followed by the position title. E.g.: VA STEM#2016/01, Lab Technician.
International University of Grand-Bassam, Human Resources Office
Attention: Human Resources Manager
BP 564 Grand-Bassam
Via email to: email@example.com
POINT OF CONTACT
International University of Grand-Bassam
Human Resources Office
Tel: (225) 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52
Fax: (225) 184.108.40.206
- Total d'offre(s) 0 Offres
- Adresse Abengourou